Wednesday 12 July 2017

RUNNING IN YOUR LANE!

“Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls.” ‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12:1-3‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
Have you ever tried to do something that just wasn’t you? Only to find you really had no business doing it in the first place? 
I had a friend. Named Wally., he was great builder and with very good with hands. But he decided he wanted to play guitar & have a band for outreach purposes. He did some lessons... got a band together! BUT he was not a musician, when he played it didn't sound right or look right!
Have you ever found yourself running in a lane that you should not be in? Do you even know what lane you should be running in?
I’ve been thinking about lanes for several months.  More specifically, I’ve been asking the Lord what my lane is and how I can represent him in that lane.
So many times (in the church, in the business world, in our homes, etc), we run races.  Whether we are running a long marathon, a short sprint, or a team relay, we are running races. 
 It’s the race set out for us by the Lord
1. We have a lane to run in the race. A lane designed by God... where we fit with all our weaknesses & strengths & talents & giftings... a lane with our name on it!
But often often do we try to run in a lane that’s not for us? Or play a position we weren’t made to play?  
When I was younger I often struggled to be ok with the way God made me. I try to be someone I’m not. I try to preach like Smith Wigglesworth... I try to…well, you get the picture.
Here’s why I won’t do any of those things: I am Who I am.  I am unique.  I have my own set of gifts, personality, experiences, talents, calling, etc.  I was made to be me. I have to be me. 
2. Stay in your lane...
God didn’t ask me to run in their lane.  He asked me to run in mine.
Paul says it so well in Romans 12:6-8, “We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.”
3. This is not a competition. Its a marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment